The Center for Architectural Documentation (Pusat Dokumentasi Arsitektur Indonesia, PDA) & arsitekturindonesia.org proudly presents our recent biographical monograph publication:
Title: Friedrich Silaban: An Indonesian Architect 1912-1984
Number of pages: 550
Full color pages with 300+ illustrations
Publisher: Pusat Dokumentasi Arsitektur, 2018
Size: 21.3 cm x 30 cm
Written by Setiadi Sopandi
Edited by Avianti Armand
Designed by SUNVisual
English translation by Henny Cecilia Rolan
Four chapters, indexed
Price: 100 USD
"Friedrich Silaban: An Indonesian Architect 1912-1984" is an English Print-On-Demand version of the same book "Friedrich Silaban" originally published by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (2017), printed in Bahasa Indonesia [https://www.gramedia.com/products/conf-friedrich-silaban], e-book in Bahasa Indonesia [https://ebooks.gramedia.com/books/friedrich-silaban] and in English [https://ebooks.gramedia.com/books/friedrich-silaban-an-indonesian-architect-1921-1984?buffet=1]. This English edition was launched in January 2018, and is produced in very limited copies.
The book traces the professional life of Indonesia’s most celebrated architect, Friedrich Silaban, which spans from 1912 to 1984. It highlights key moments in his career beginning from his education during the late colonial period and other key events during Indonesia’s nation building period. Set within the cultural and architectural context of the respective period, this publication exposes Silaban’s most distinguished architectural works that played important cultural role in the early Indonesian independence era as well as focuses on his well-known masterpieces - like the Istiqlal Mosque and Bank of Indonesia – and lesser known built and unbuilt works.
“… It is not a simplistic biography neither an architectural work catalogue. Sopandi takes us, like in a movie, through a complex narrative on architectural ideas… this book reveals how Silaban architecture was faced as a multi-disciplined field intertwined with the imaginative act of defining the being, or existence, of a society. This book is one of the top efforts documentation and research to perpetuate the legacy of the journey of architects and architecture in Indonesia.”
- Ana Tostões, Docomomo International; Instituto Superior Técnico Lisboa
“Setiadi Sopandi’s study is by far the most comprehensive account of Silaban’s works. …This book is a grand guided tour of a crucial period in the history of Indonesian architecture, revealing the innards of a political-artistic life of a nation and providing a rare glimpse into the work of a unique character of a most important Indonesian architect.”
– Abidin Kusno, York University
“It is fantastic to see the works of Silaban concentrated all together in this publication in a way you would never be able to see it in reality. The publication not only provides an insight on the work of Silaban and the era he worked in, but allows readers to look forward and to enables us to contextualize our present time.”
– Martien de Vletter, Canadian Centre for Architecture
“Silaban is the best representation of the new soul of modernity in Indonesia, in line with the raging spirit of nationalism and self-esteem among newly independent countries in post-World War II Asia.”
– Johannes Widodo, National University of Singapore
Currently we are opening a limited offer to purchase and ship worldwide the English Print-On-Demand edition of the book. Please put your order by following the procedure below:
- Please fill the order form on this link: https://goo.gl/forms/YmXGJ5Q9VEXLmK8B3
- Please make sure that you fill the order form before May 11, 2018. The shipping costs are stated within the form. Please note that the form is not automatically generate invoice and only shows estimated total cost of your purchase (for one copy). In case you purchase more than one copy, we will have to calculate the shipping cost.
- After submitting the form above, we will send a PayPal invoice e-mail with link for payment. PayPal will automatically inform the transaction completion. We use PayPal invoice for payment. You can use your PayPal account or pay with debit/credit card without PayPal account.
- Shipping details and tracking number will be sent shortly after we confirm the payment.
For inquiries, please contact Ms.Trisha Lahu at email@example.com
Pusat Dokumentasi Arsitektur
Jl. Tebet Dalam 4-i no.30, Jakarta 12810